07 November – remembering first Asian Nobel Prize winner in Science, Bharat Ratna – greatest Indian physicist – Sir Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman (Sir C. V. Raman)
LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL 🙂 I hope we all are safe 🙂 STAY SAFE, STAY HEALTHY, STAY HOME 🙂
Today we are celebrating birthday of one of our greatest Indian physicist – Sir Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman (Sir C. V. Raman). Here highlighting only few points to remember 🙂
About Sir C. V. Raman:
- C. V. Raman was born in Trichinopoly, Madras Presidency (now Trichy, Tamil Nadu)
- In 1904, he obtained a B.A. degree from the University of Madras, where he stood first and won the gold medal in physics.
- At age 18, while still a graduate student, he published his first scientific paper on diffraction of light in the British journal Philosophical Magazine in 1906.
- In 1947, Sir Raman became Independent India’s first National Professor and founded the Raman Research Institute in 1948.
“I strongly believe that fundamental science cannot be driven by instructional, industrial and government or military pressures. This was the reason why I decided, as far as possible, not to accept money from the government.”
– C. V. RAMAN
- Nobel Prize
- Shri C. V. Raman won the Nobel Prize in 1930 for Physics
- Shri C. V. Raman was the first Asian to won the Nobel Prize in any branch of Science
- This is the first Nobel Prize in India in the field of Science.
- For this phenomenal discovery every year we celebrate the National Science Day on 28th Feb.
- Bharat Ratna – In 1954, the Government of India honored him with the first Bharat Ratna highest civilian award.
- Shri C. V. Raman founded the Indian Journal of Physics in 1926
- Raman Effect – In 1928 Raman and his student Krishnan discovered a novel phenomenon of light scattering, which they called “modified scattering” and also called “Raman Effect”
- In 1986, “National Council for Science and Technology Communication” requested Government of India to celebrate Feb 28 as National Science Day. Government of India accepted this request and on 28 Feb 1987 first National Science Day is celebrated.
Thanks for reading 🙂 Feel free to discuss / comment / questions 🙂 SHARING IS CARING 🙂Share In Teams:
Enjoy the beautiful life 🙂 Have a FUN 🙂 HAVE A SAFE LIFE 🙂 TAKE CARE 🙂