Power Platform – Power BI for beginners. Exploring Power BI Service. Creating simple chart application / Demo
LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL 🙂 With Power BI its more FUN 🙂
In following articles we discussed Introduction to Power BI, Power BI Desktop. We also tried one small demo, prepared chart for my Teams / SharePoint sites in my Tenant.
- Power Platform – Power BI for Beginners – Introduction to Power BI. Business value and Features of Power BI
- Power Platform – Power BI Desktop for beginners. Exploring Power BI Desktop. Creating simple chart application / Demo
Today we will discuss another part of Power BI “Power BI Service”.
What is Power BI Service :
- An online SAAS (Software as a Service)
- Power BI service contains dashboards which displays tiles which opens further to show reports
Creating a report – Lets create one simple report, lets have a FUN 🙂
Use Case: Lets have one real life scenario – Our Office 365 Administrator wants to know how many users are unlicensed and what are the other users license. This is pretty simple use case. We can directly download from users section as
But if my organization having large number users and my admin need to track and present to management then showing in excel is not intuitive. So again I choose the option “Power BI” and having a fun 🙂
Following are the detailed steps:
- Get the Data : Here we will get the data from users CSV file which we exported as shown in below Fig3. We have “Get data” option in nav pane at the bottom as shown in Fig4.
- Click on “Get data” link, we will be redirected to the page where we have multiple options to create our own content / to create the new datasets as
- Here please observe the URLs in address bar for every step. How they are changing.
- Here, we need to get the data from our Users CSV file, so we will use “Files” option under “Create new content” section.
- Click on “Get” button from “Files” tile under “Create new content” section. We will be redirected to “Files” pane as
- We have various options to load the file, this is really very nice :). For now we will get the file from local drive so we will click on “Local File” tile.
- As we click on “Local File” task “File Upload” dialog will open to get the file from local system
- Select the file from which we need to load the data, once data loaded successfully, we will get redirected to dashboards page as
- As we have data ready, we are ready to create the report.
- From the right top corner click on “+ Create” button as shown in above Fig7
- Once we click on “+Create” report, pop up will appear with various options as
- As we click on “Report” option, select the
- Once we selected the data set, dataset page opens, where from “Visualizations” pane we could add any chart and explore.
- Here we will select “Stacked column chart” and Axis as “Licenses” as shown in below Fig9.
isn’t so easy and intuitive. We can try various other options from “Visualizations” pane. We will discuss some of those here and will have more FUN 🙂
Stay tuned with Knowledge Junction and having FUN with technology, njoying LIFE journey. HAVE A FANTASTIC LIFE AHEAD 🙂