Today very interesting news and I am also excited to understand Page Diagnostic Tool for SharePoint Online 🙂 This will make SharePoint Online developers life bit easier 🙂
In this article we will discuss current news and starting for Page Diagnostic Tool.
News: On Wednesday 18 Sep 19, Microsoft announced next release of Page Diagnostics Tool, Version – 2.0.1 for SharePoint Online.
What is Page Diagnostics Tool :
MS defines it ” The Page Diagnostics Tool for SharePoint is a Chromium Browser Extension (can be used in Chrome and Microsoft Edge version 77 or later) designed to help you identify site pages in SharePoint Online that may not be delivering optimal performance.”
Page Diagnostics Tool can be downloaded from here
This tool can be also installed through chrome browser store
Once Page Diagnostics Tool installed it appears in the top bar of Chrome browser as
Fig1 : M365 – SharePoint Online – Page Diagnostics Tool – Extension to Chrome Browser
What This Tool does:
- This tool identifies total page load time as shown in below Fig 2
- Which actions needs attention (following are few of them) as shown in below Fig3
- It detects large images (Images which are larger than 300 KB)
- Content Delivery Network (CDN) check – Which items from page are not using CDN
- How many request call went to SharePoint? It also indicates how many only to have like best practice is maximum 25
- Which web parts are using iFrames? iFrames slows down the performance
- Which web parts affecting performance
- Where improvements can be done. That means for example this tool enlists WebParts which take more than 2000 MS to render
Fig2 : M365 – SharePoint Online – Page diagnostics Tool – M365 – SharePoint Online – Page diagnostics Tool – Identifying Page load time, SPRequestDuration time
Fig3 : M365 – SharePoint Online – Page diagnostics Tool – Issues listed which requires Attention, Improvements opportunities
Isn’t this interesting 🙂 and very useful to check the performance of our modern page in SharePoint Online
There are 3 ellipses on right top corner in Fig3, by clicking on those we will have “? Additional resources” links with more details
How this tool works:
- This tool compares characteristics of page to best practices to SharePoint Online and enlist the issues
- This tool also provides guidance to resolve these issues as per the best practices
This tool also used for the new pages that means before publishing them to verify the performance of the new page.
This tool can analyze both modern and classic sites.
Thanks for reading 🙂
Keep reading, share your thoughts, experiences. Feel free to contact us to discuss more. If you have any suggestion / feedback / doubt, you are most welcome.
Stay tuned on Knowledge-Junction, will come up with more such articles / news.