M365 – Certification : Preparing MS-900 (Microsoft 365 Fundamentals) – study material – Benefits of cloud computing
In last article (M365 – Certification : Preparing MS-900 (Microsoft 365 Fundamentals) – study material – Understanding cloud concepts for beginners ) we discussed basics of Cloud Computing with example. In this article we will discuss benefits of cloud computing.
As in last article we listed the benefits as , here we will explore in depth.
- Cost :
- Organization can save Infrastructure and administrative cost
- Cloud computing reduces the expenses requires for buying hardware. Just needs to be paid based on use / consumption based model
- No need to purchase any servers and maintain them
- No need to hire IT expert to maintain hardware, servers, licenses and so on
- The possibility to pay the price as when required for additional resource
- The possibility to stop the price as when resources are not required/not used
- Scale / Elastic
- Scalability is the ability of the system to expand to handle the increasing amount of load.
- On demand provisioning of resources
- Increase (scale up) the resources as and when needed.
- Down the resources when not required
- Cloud computing supports two types of scaling
- Vertical scaling:
- Vertical scaling means “scaling up“. Means increase the power of existing server
- Example: Adding memory, cache, disk or CPU/Processors
- Horizontal scaling:
- Horizontal scaling means “scaling out“. Means adding multiple servers to existing working unit
- Here we didn’t increase the capacity of existing servers rather reduce their load by adding extra server.
- Reliable / High Availability
- Cloud computing providers provides data backup, disaster recovery.
- They make sure that redundancy is built so if one of the server / component fails then backup takes place. That means Fault Tolerance is in place and customer dosent affected because of some fail-over or disaster.
- Cloud provider maintains their up time of 99.9%. They grantees of 24*7 availability
- Set of policies, technologies, applications, controls, procedures to protect data as well as infrastructure
- We have physical security and digital security
- Physical security – securing servers, building where servers are available
- Digital security – Authorization – who can connect to data
- Cloud providers providers all those policies, technical expertise, applications, utilities to have the security in place
- For physical security cloud providers invest a lot in instruments like gates, cameras, walls, buildings, security personnel and so on.
- Speed / Performance
- Implementing applications in cloud allows organizations fast to implement and make available in market faster
- High network bandwidth availability
- Performance engineers are in place
- Productivity of organization get improved as they no longer need to worry about patches / updates, server maintenance, all these responsibilities are of cloud providers
- Productivity improves when users of organizations works simultaneously over the data
- Productivity of users/employees also improves by flexibility to work from anywhere since cloud providers makes data available globally
I hope in this article we understand the various benefits cloud computing have.
What Next: In next article we will discuss various cloud deployment methods. Following are the cloud deployment methods:
- Public cloud
- Private cloud
- Hybrid cloud
- Community cloud
Thanks for reading 🙂
Keep reading, share your thoughts, experiences. Feel free to contact us to discuss more. If you have any suggestion / feedback / doubt, you are most welcome.
Stay tuned on Knowledge-Junction, will come up with more such articles.