In previous few articles we discussed What is Success, few key ingredients of success formula, today I’ll share two small incidents which happened to me. These incidents realize me the importance of Attitude in Success, one of the key ingredient of success formula.
First incident, On last weekend, I was searching for empty hair salon (I don’t have permanent one 😊). To save the time I always try to find empty one. I found one and I entered there. I saw barber and his friend chatting. He was young barber around 20-21-year-old. I went I asked him should I sit on first chair, he said yes. I sat on chair and waiting for him to come. Already 5 minutes finished but he didn’t come. Finally, I called him and said I am getting late. He gave me weird look. He came and asked me to change the chair, I said I asked before, he said no sit on another chair. I changed the chair and he started.
Its morning time but he didn’t seem to be in proper mood. He was not properly handling his resources, making noise of them and so on. In few minutes next customer came with his son. He wants to do hair cut of his son. His son was small, around 7-8-year-old. So, he was playing around with another chair in salon. This also didn’t well with barber and he shouted on kid. For few minutes kid stopped but again started playing. Barber again shouted him, finally his father took him out of salon and didn’t came after.
Here barber looses one customer and then I also decided that I’ll never come this salon. So, he loses me also. Then I understand even there is weekend why this salon I found free. I was thinking deep. I realize that attitude of barber is not good. He is not positive. Even there is weekend time, their earning time but he is so negative no body will like to go there.
Attitude really matters. As per Wikipedia Attitude meaning is, in psychology, attitude is a psychological construct, a mental and emotional entity that inheres in, or characterizes a person
For success, attitude is equally as important as ability – Walter Scott (was a Scottish historical novelist, playwright, poet and historian)
I’ll share another incident, recently I went to another city to conduct the session, I hire a driver from one of the driver service provider. When next day morning I saw driver it seems like child, small height, very thick, I surprised. I asked him his age, he said 21. Initially, it seems he was driving well but as we moved further he started driving roughly. I asked him, is there any problem he said no. After I asked him, he changed his mood and started very slowly. When I reached in destination city, I asked him whether he knows destination root, he didn’t reply anything and keep driving. I was feeling bit annoying since I need to reach on time to conduct the session. But since I had to deliver session and I kept my cool.
While returning, he changed root and drove slowly. Later I realized that he was trying to complete his 12 hours and then over time since there were extra charges for overtime. Here again the attitude came to picture, I decided, henceforward I will never hire him again.
As per business dictionary Attitude is A predisposition or a tendency to respond positively or negatively towards a certain idea, object, person, or situation.
Virtually nothing is impossible in this world if you just put your mind to it and maintain a positive attitude – Lou Holtz (is a former American football player, coach, and analyst.)
From these both the incidents, how important role of Attitude for business success, just imagine what could have happen if they both (barber and driver) had sown right / positive attitude towards their customers. Situation is altogether different. I might be their permeant customer and could referred to my friend and so on.
Changing the Attitude: Its take time and continuous efforts to change the attitude or to have new attitude. We need to work on our thinking, change from negative thinking to positive thinking. We need to be habitual to positive thinking.
WITHOUT POSITIVE ATTITUDE, SUCCESS IS CALLED LUCK. WITH POSITIVE ATTITUDE SUCCESS IS CALLED ACHIEVEMENT – DR. APJ ABDUL KALAM.
- Positive thoughts: Whenever there are negative thoughts don’t accept them. Think other way round and think positive. Try to be positive in each situation unless it doesn’t become habit. It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.
- Motivational Books: A man is known by the company he keeps. Good books are the best friends. Make habit of reading motivational books. Which keep us positive. Read inspiring books, autobiographies of successful peoples.
- Exercise / Physical Activity: Being active or fit always helps to keep positive attitude. Exercise change the negative mood to positive.
- Never Worry: If you have habit of worrying for past, try to get rid of it. It’s no use crying over spilt milk. Believe in yourself and believe that whatever happening is best for us. Worrying kills us and change our attitude.
- Be focused: Its very necessary that our mind is focused on the things which are important to us. Nowadays its lots of thing surrounding us affects us and we easily loose the focus. Be focused on achieving our goals, continuously having our goals in mind and trying for those unless those not achieved, once achieved, setting new goals. Focus: One of the key Ingredient of success formula
Finally, incidents here I shared are happened with me, seems to be very simple and we can ignore easily and forget. But when those happens in real life these small characteristics really matters a lot in our success, which makes our life simple, beautiful.
Walter Scott – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Scott
Lou Holtz – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Holtz
Attitude (psychology) – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attitude_(psychology)
Please feel free to share your thoughts / incidents or few more points to add on.
Thanks for reading 😊
Feel free to contact us to discuss more. If you have any suggestion / feedback / doubt, you are most welcome.
Stay tuned on Knowledge-Junction, will come up with more such articles.